I am a brand ambassador for Goldrich Eggs. As always, all thoughts, opinions, and love for eggs are my own.If I could, I would bake all day every day. There is something about being in the kitchen making sweets that is a stress reliever. Maybe it’s because there is instant gratification in making something that everybody would love. I don’t really care what it is, I just know that it’s one of my favorite things to do.
The holidays are my favorite time of the year. Go figure, right? The holidays mean that I live in the kitchen, not necessarily cooking exquisite meals but baking ALL THE THINGS. One dessert that I had never made before was Red Velvet Cookies. I was browsing on Pinterest and saw some and thought to myself, “why haven’t I made any?” I couldn’t give myself a good reason so I decided to make some of my own.
There were a few things on the list of ingredients that I didn’t have so I did have to make a run to my local Walmart for ingredients. Before I start any recipe, I always check to make sure I have everything I need. Nothing is more aggravating than being in the middle of a recipe when you need ONE egg and have NONE left. I probably didn’t mention that I usually do all my baking at night time so it’s not like I could walk next door and borrow any ingredients. Well, I guess I could but my neighbors probably wouldn’t appreciate it.
One reason why I went to Walmart was to pick up my favorite eggs to use in all my cooking needs, Goldrich Eggs. These eggs have the most vibrant colored yolks I have ever seen in my life and make me question why no other eggs are like this. You have to see them for yourself.
Now, let’s get baking!
Red Velvet Sugar Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 t cornstarch
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large Goldrich Egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 t lemon vinegar
- red food coloring (approximately 2 t)
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 t vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cake flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder and salt until blended, set aside
- In a bowl of an electric stand mixer, whip butter, shortening and sugar
- Mix in whole egg, then mix in egg white, vanilla, vinegar and food coloring.
- With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until combined
- Cover bowl and chill for 2 hours
- Preheat over to 375 degrees during the last 10 minutes of chilling
- Shape dough into about 3 T balls and transfer onto non stick pan
- Flattened balls with greased hands to about 1/2 inch
- Bake in preheated oven approximately 8-10 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet 2 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack
- Let cool completely then frost with cream cheese frosting
For the Frosting
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, whip cream cheese and butter until pale and fluffy
- Mix in vanilla extract followed by powdered sugar
- Blend until well combined
and now to do what we do best… EAT THEM! I hope you all enjoy!
What is your favorite food to bake during the holiday season?