Makeup can change the whole look of our outfit. I was so excited to learn that Benjamin Ruiz for Laura Mercier was the lead makeup artist for Fashion Group International of Dallas’ annual Night of Stars Gala because he does such an amazing job. I got the inside scoop that he created a “Modern Hollywood Muse” look for the show. The focus was on fresh, glowing skin. Ruiz added just a hint of ginger color to the eyes and emphasized the lips with a matte red shade. This is one of my favorite looks.
Here’s a breakdown of all the products that were used.
Face: “Radiant and dewy” skin created the illusion that the models weren’t wearing makeup.
- Benjamin first prepped the skin with Laura Mercier Moisture Crème Broad Spectrum SPF 15 Sunscreen, ($52), generously massaging it into the model’s face to awaken her complexion. Then he used Laura Mercier Repair Eye Serum, ($83).
- Next, he mixed Laura Mercier Foundation Primer – Radiance, ($33)with Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 Sunscreen, ($43) on the back of his hand and applied it to her face using the Laura Mercier Crème Cheek Colour Brush, ($36).
- Next, he evened out the skin, as needed, using Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage, ($34) and Laura Mercier Secret Concealer, ($24).
- To ensure that the blush melted into the skin, Benjamin used theLaura Mercier Crème Cheek Colour Brush, ($36) to apply Laura Mercier Crème Cheek Colour, ($25) on the apples of the cheeks. ( For lighter complexions, he used Laura Mercier Crème Cheek Colour in Canyon, a clean orange hue. For darker complexions, he used the Laura Mercier Crème Cheek Colour in Blaze, a warm rose hue.)
- Finally, he reapplied a thin layer of Laura Mercier Foundation Primer – Radiance, ($33) to add shine to the high points of the face, such as the cheek and temporal bones.
Eyes: A wash of colour with a hint of shine
- First, Benjamin applied Laura Mercier Eye Basics, ($26; Linen, Cotton or Buff, depending on the model’s skin tone) all over the lids.
- He then swept Laura Mercier Matte Eye Colour in Ginger, ($24; for lighter complexions) or Laura Mercier Sateen Eye Colour in Cognac, ($24; for darker complexions) over the eyes and added a small amount of Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Rosegold or Copper, ($28) to the lower lash lines, blending it upward toward the brows with the Laura Mercier Ponytail Brush, ($29).
- Next, he applied the same shade of eye shadow in the crease of the eyes with the Laura Mercier Eye Crease Travel Brush, ($29).
- To complete the look, he applied Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Black Ebony, ($24) to the root of the lashes and used Laura Mercier Long Lash Mascara, ($25) very sparingly.
Lips: Matte Lips
- Benjamin lined the lips with Laura Mercier Lip Pencil, ($23). He then filled in the entire lip using the same pencil and blended with a brush.
- Next, he applied Laura Mercier Rouge Nouveau Weightless Lip Colour, ($25) and finished with a dusting of Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder in Translucent, ($37), to reduce shine even more, ensuring the end result was matte. (For lighter complexions, he used Laura Mercier Lip Pencil in Ruby and Laura Mercier Rouge Nouveau Weightless Lip Colour in Moi. For darker complexions, he used Laura Mercier Lip Pencil in Deep Wine and Laura Mercier Rouge Nouveau Weightless Lip Colour inMink.)
What type of makeup style do you prefer?